Sunday, December 9, 2012

Advent and Hanukkah


Sunday tends to be a religious day (even for those who are not religious -- well, okay, I think it is a day when many people enjoy being able to get in some rest and/or partake in religious activities)... Also I had no clue what to post here today.  In keeping with my personal mission to post something daily, and the hope to not bore whomever reads this, I have found photos that represent both centerpieces for those who are Catholic (an Advent Wreath) and those who are Jewish (a Hanukkah Menorah).

The image on the left is an Advent Wreath. It consists of four candles around the circle (three purple, one pink) and a single white candle in the center. (Sometimes all five candles are white, with the appropriate colored ribbon around each one). The wreath is a way to "count down" to Christmas Day, the celebration of Jesus being born (ie the white/center candle). The Advent Wreath is lit clockwise, one candle every Sunday per week during the Advent season: purple, purple, pink (for joy, the halfway point has been reached), purple, then finally the center/white candle on Christmas Day.

The image on the right is a Hanukkah Menorah. It consists of nice candle slots in a straight line, with eight candles/holes at the same height and the center candle/hole making that first candle higher than the others. Most Menorahs I have viewed are similar in shape to the image I have above -- one raised base with a raised center candle and four candles on each side, creating a total of nine candles in a single horizontal line. Please correct me if I am wrong about the candle color -- I have primarily seen all white candles. There are several variations however, both in the shape of the Menorah itself and some have different colored candles -- yet most keep the "highest" the center candle white. The center candle is lit the first night of Hanukkah and the candles (with various special prayers) are lit one per night during the eight nights of Hanukkah, from left to right (when you are the individual lighting the candle).

As mentioned earlier this month, please feel free to always give me more information about holidays celebrated in your religion (particularly in December!) and correct me/teach me about anything I post that is incorrect.  Thank you and I hope everyone has a good weekend!

 (My personal online Advent wreath -- on the left was last week; today is the second Sunday in Advent so the image has changed. Now there are two candles lit.  Next week the lit pink candle shall mark the third Sunday)

No comments:

Post a Comment