Monday, October 1, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (October 1)


Welcome to another Monday update on what I have been reading!  This past week I ended up re-reading two different book series.  I also found a few images online that I am going to try to remember to use at the top of book entries.  These particular "problems" amused me because they are about/refer to books!  Today is Nerd Girl Problem #45 (no clue about the numbers nor where these came from - but I can relate to them!!)...
"Having to put a great book down to do things like sleep or eat"


This first book series is by Laura Ingalls Wilder, often referred to as the "Little House" books.  The series is written primarily about herself, parents (Pa and Ma), older sister Mary and younger sister Carrie. The books cover roughly Laura's life story from the 1860's through the 1880's giving a wonderful personal history of pioneer life.  One book (Farmer Boy) is a glimpse into her husband (Almanzo Wilder) childhood home.  The books also eventually include her youngest sister Grace, how Almanzo courted Laura, and the start of their life together - including the birth of their daughter Rose.  Laura started writing the series when she was sixty years old and passed away quietly a few days after her 90th birthday in February of 1957 (Almanzo had also passed away quietly in their home, eight years prior).


This second book series was written by Maria V. Snyder -- I do not have the details of her life as many do about Laura Ingalls Wilder but that is only to be expected! This series was introduced to me by an old friend, and I believe Maria has another series (however since I do not have them I shall have to take a trip to my local library and look there -- it is too bad they closed the local Border's store last summer!)... Anyway, the books in this trilogy are: Poison Study, Magic Study, and Fire Study.  All three surround Yelena, a girl who was sentenced to die but was offered the position of food taster.  Her journey wanders from learning to identify poisons in food, to espionage, to discovering she has magical powers... it continues to follow her journey learning about herself, her family, and the unexpected magic (and human) surprises life brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment