Saturday, January 22, 2011

As promised, books!

Books make me happy - they have been a part of my life since before I could actually read (although I would pretend of course) and as mentioned earlier this month I am likely to write several blogs that include books I am reading, have read, or shall read in the future.

I was never that interested in history classes as I was growing up.  In more recent years however, I discovered that I enjoyed reading historical fiction -- I could imagine along with the author and learn about history without becoming bored.  Historical fiction about England around the time of Henry VII, Henry VIII (and his six wives), Edward, Mary, and Elizabeth I are my number one interest... I also am becoming interested in historical fiction based in ancient Egypt, around the time of Cleopatra.

This month I have decided to read/re-read books from my historical fiction collection and have completed five so far - I have attempted to read/re-read them in historical order, although there is some overlap in time.  The books ranged anywhere from 287 pages up to 661 pages in length.

"To Hold The Crown" by Jean Plaidy; "The Constant Princess" by Philippa Gregory; "The Secret Bride" by Diane Haeger; "The Other Boleyn Girl" by Philippa Gregory; and "Mary Queen Of France" by Jean Plaidy are the five I have completed so far.  I am planning on reading another four to six books from this time period, then moving on.

When it comes to series, I am planning (during the next eleven months) to re-read the Harry Potter books, several books by Louisa May Alcott, various C.S. Lewis pieces, Laura Ingalls Wilder series on her own life, and what I call my "children books" which range from "Twenty-One Balloons" by William Pene du Bois to "The Girl With The Silver Eyes" by Willo Davis Roberts.

Although I do love to read, I shall be saving a future blog for movies/DVDs I have watched in the past few months/am planning to watch in the next few months.  Any suggestions for music, books, or movies are welcome, as are suggestions for titles for future blogs... Hope that everyone has a wonderful week!

*Edit: Forgot to include "Doomed Queen Anne" by Carolyn Meyer which makes six books.

This evening I just finished a seventh "Portrait of an Unknown Woman" by Vanora Bennett - different from most historical fictions from this period, with the focus is on Sir Thomas More and more of his home life though the eyes of one of his adopted daughters (Meg Giggs) verses the court life during the time of Henry VIII.

No comments:

Post a Comment