Thursday, March 3, 2011

Books and, of course, ramblings!



How are we already three days into March?  Sorry for lack of posts in February, it has taken me a while to get my health back on track.  Have been doing alright overall which is good and I have changed my eating habits which is great for my body.  Most of my life I never ate the recommended amounts of fruits and vegetables, and I am now pretty much on what I called a "rabbit" food plan.  Lots of salads, bowls of mixed fruits, handfuls of dried berries and sunflower seeds, and some type of lean meat/fish for lunch or dinner daily along with steamed veggies.  I have also been eating either hard-boiled or scrambled eggs and whole wheat/whole grain/high fiber oatmeal, bread, or pasta when I have indulged by adding carbs to my new food plan.  I have been craving french fries, stuffed crust pizza and juicy cheeseburgers, but overall I have now adjusted to my "new" foods.  My body is now much healthier and I am hoping the next few months will be doctor free -- I think I had four or five trips in the month of February alone!


Moving on to more pleasant subjects -- the down time gave me an opportunity to continue reading very thick books, four following the historical fiction path that I had started on earlier in the year ("The Queen's Fool" by Philippa Gregory; "The Boleyn Inheritance" also by Philippa Gregory; "The Lady Elizabeth" by Alison Weir; and "I, Elizabeth" by Rosalind Miles - honestly the last was a bit too dry but I wanted to finish it anyway).  As a breath of fresh air, I came across a bookshelf with multiple books I own written by Louisa May Alcott.  She is usually best known for her book "Little Women" (which is actually the first of three - the other two being "Little Men" and "Jo's Boys" - I have not yet re-read those particular three although they are also good for the soul).  Instead I have completed three of her lesser known books which are great when it comes to reminding me of years gone by and friendly society - "Eight Cousins" followed by "Rose in Bloom" and finally "An Old-Fashioned Girl" - all interesting books by Louisa May Alcott, probably one of my favorite authors.   I am now torn in three ways - wanting to re-read her "Little Women" trilogy, interested in re-reading Laura Ingalls Wilders' collection of seven books, or going towards fantasy fiction - dragons/wizards.

During February and these first few days in March I have already spent (and have plans to spend) time with various family and friends - new friends as well as old friends.  In particular I wanted to mention my youngest cousin because tomorrow she turns six months old!  I do need to find the darn camera though, I do not believe I have a single photo of us together - let alone my other family members these past two years!  Also next weekend (March 12th) I have my ten year high school reunion and the following Saturday (March 19th) a large family gathering - lots of opportunities for various photos!

Time for homework, housework, and a quick trip to the grocery store before dinner... There are still puddles on the ground and not a patch of blue sky can be seen but it is not raining so I think I might head to the store first - I hope everyone is enjoying this first week in March!  Thanks again to everyone who has shared their blogs (and/or facebook pages) with me, I love being a part of others lives - even if it is from far away/as a stranger!

No comments:

Post a Comment